Wednesday, July 22, 2015

A Special Tribute To Godly Dads

As this Father’s Day approaches, for me, it is a bitter-sweet time of remembrance, for it has been but less than a month ago that I was called home to lay my own Dad to rest.
Although my Dad was well over 80, he had been in reasonably good health; so when tragedy struck without warning, to say that I was somewhat caught “off guard” would be a mild understatement. But then again, who is ever “REALLY” prepared for the death of one that we deeply love?
Nevertheless, I was truly blessed with a Dad (that for most of my life) had exemplified what it means to live the life of a good and godly man. And it is especially with “his” memories so deeply etched into the recesses of my mind that I now pay homage to all the fathers who have set those same examples for their children.
I am a living testimony to the fact that, “No father is ever a perfect Dad” and my Father wasn’t perfect either, nor did he ever claim himself to be. But I knew that when he accepted Christ as his personal Savior, he wholeheartedly tried to live his life committed to God, putting forth a very concerted effort to also help his children to do the same.
No, I didn’t always live up to his expectations, and I’m sure that there were times that I brought sadness to his heart because of bad choices that I sometimes made. But Dad never gave up on praying for me.
My Dad may not have had a deep theological concept of all the tenants of Christianity, but when it came to setting the standard for holy living, my Dad lived the Christian life by example.
I never knew him to lie, cheat, or steal from anyone, and he expected us (my brothers and I) to live by those same standards. My Dad was a strict disciplinarian, but he was always fair. That did not mean that we always did right, but boy we sure did our best to make certain that Dad never found out if our actions ever crossed those lines. And I well understood “rewards for righteousness and punishment for evil” long before I comprehended the teachings of Scripture.
Nevertheless, how grateful I am that Dad instilled in me (even in my youth) that morality, integrity, and hard work go hand in hand with living godly. And Dad wasn’t much on “Hand Outs”… but he was all into giving those less fortunate a “Hand Up.”
As a Father myself, I hope that when the day arrives that God calls me home that my children will also be able to call me a good and a godly Dad. And to all fathers reading this letter, if ever there has been a generation that is in such dire need of fathers who will be men of integrity and honor, this is that generation.
All kids need the love of a father’s hug and they need a man to show them what “real” manhood is all about. If a man truly loves his family, he’ll see that their needs are provided, he will protect them from harm, and above all else, he will show them Jesus.
All fathers have been commissioned with the same duty, and when it comes to our children there are 2 invaluable lessons that we must make certain that our children know.
First (and foremost) Dads, we must learn to “lead by example” and show our children how to make heaven home. For of a certainty, this life (at best) is only temporary, and all of us will one day spend eternity somewhere. Without a doubt, there is a “REAL” Heaven for all to gain, and a “REAL” Hell for all to shun.
Lastly, we must also teach our children how to make a living and survive in this world when we are no longer around, for the “Law of Averages” says that most of them are still going to be here long after we are gone.
May God help each of us who are Fathers to make sure that we are living godly lives and that we are positively impacting the most precious gifts that God gives to any parent—“Our Children!”
And to the children: If are blessed to have your Dad to still be alive today, please don’t wait until it’s too late to say how thankful you are (to God) for him.
Just a Thought,
Pastor Ken Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment